What Is the Best Level 2 Charger in 2018
What Is the Best Level 2 Charger in 2018?
In recent years, electric vehicles (EVs) have become increasingly popular due to their eco-friendly nature and the improvements in technology. As the number of EVs on the road continues to grow, the need for efficient and reliable charging stations has become crucial. One of the most popular options for at-home charging is a Level 2 charger. In this article, we will explore what a Level 2 charger is, its benefits, and the best options available in 2018.
What is a Level 2 Charger?
A Level 2 charger is a charging station that provides a higher voltage (240 volts) and a faster charging rate compared to a standard Level 1 charger (120 volts). It is typically installed in homes, offices, or public spaces, offering a convenient and efficient way to charge your EV. Level 2 chargers use a special connector, such as the SAE J1772 or Tesla’s proprietary connector, to connect to the vehicle.
Benefits of a Level 2 Charger
1. Faster Charging: The primary advantage of a Level 2 charger is its faster charging rate. While a Level 1 charger may take up to 20 hours to fully charge an EV, a Level 2 charger can accomplish the same task in as little as 4 to 8 hours, depending on the vehicle’s battery size and capacity.
2. Convenience: Level 2 chargers provide EV owners with the flexibility to charge their vehicles overnight or during the day, ensuring that their car is ready to go whenever they need it. With a Level 2 charger, there is no longer a need to rely on public charging stations or wait for extended periods to charge.
3. Cost-Effectiveness: Although the initial cost of purchasing and installing a Level 2 charger may seem high, it can actually be more cost-effective in the long run. Level 2 chargers consume less energy and are more efficient compared to Level 1 chargers, resulting in lower electricity bills.
Best Level 2 Chargers in 2018
1. ChargePoint Home Flex: The ChargePoint Home Flex is a highly recommended Level 2 charger known for its flexibility and reliability. It offers adjustable power levels from 16 to 50 amps, allowing users to choose the charging speed that suits their needs. Additionally, it features smart connectivity, enabling users to monitor and control their charger remotely through a mobile app.
2. JuiceBox Pro 40: The JuiceBox Pro 40 is another top contender in the Level 2 charger market. It boasts a compact design and is compatible with all electric vehicles. With its 40-amp charging capacity, it can fully charge most EVs in under 4 hours. The JuiceBox Pro 40 also offers Wi-Fi connectivity and smartphone control for enhanced user experience.
3. Siemens VersiCharge: The Siemens VersiCharge is a Level 2 charger that prioritizes safety and durability. It features a weatherproof enclosure, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor installations. The VersiCharge offers a charging capacity of up to 30 amps and comes with a six-foot charging cable. It is compatible with all electric vehicles using the SAE J1772 connector.
Q1. Can I install a Level 2 charger at home?
A1. Yes, Level 2 chargers can be installed at home. However, professional installation is recommended to ensure proper electrical connections and safety.
Q2. Are Level 2 chargers compatible with all electric vehicles?
A2. Yes, most Level 2 chargers are compatible with all electric vehicles, as long as they use the standard SAE J1772 connector. Some Level 2 chargers, such as Tesla’s Wall Connector, require a specific adapter for Tesla vehicles.
Q3. How much does a Level 2 charger cost?
A3. The cost of a Level 2 charger varies depending on the brand, features, and installation requirements. On average, Level 2 chargers can range from $400 to $1,000, excluding installation costs.
Q4. Can I use a Level 2 charger with a regular household outlet?
A4. No, Level 2 chargers require a dedicated 240-volt circuit and cannot be used with a regular household outlet. Upgrading your electrical system might be necessary.
In conclusion, a Level 2 charger is an essential tool for EV owners, offering faster charging times, convenience, and cost-effectiveness. The ChargePoint Home Flex, JuiceBox Pro 40, and Siemens VersiCharge are among the best Level 2 chargers available in 2018. investing in a Level 2 charger, EV owners can enjoy the benefits of reliable and efficient charging right at their doorstep.